October 2016. (Read more…)
Lightning Express was a screen magnifier supplied by Claro Software and Sensory Software. It is no longer available from us but we do receive enquiries about it.
To help anyone who wants screen magnification, here is a link to our prototype Lightning 3, developed in 2017. We have not released this officially so use at your own risk, but do let us know how you get on. You may also find this guide to using your computer with some sight useful.
- Lightning 3 Installer MSI file. For Windows 7 and later.
Our software, powered by the world-class Omnipage engine, is great at handling a huge variety of PDF files. In the unlikely event of your coming across a PDF that does not scan/OCR well – we have identified three in ten years – then here is a technique that might help.
Latest version 12, December 2017 (Read more…)
ClaroRead 7.1.21 (with Scan2Text 5.2.5 and Access2Text 1.1.3, Advanced Settings Editor 3.2.6). Released August 2016.
ClaroUp is our automatic software update program. It only runs when you run a Claro program: it doesn’t run in the background, or when Windows starts up. So it’s quite unobtrusive.
It also doesn’t show itself if the current user is not an Admin on the machine, so it should not bother users on networks or locked-down machines.
However, you may want to disable it entirely. You can do this by writing a per-machine registry key: (Read more…)
You may need to disable the spellcheck features in ClaroRead, for example if you are using it for exams. You can disable it in Settings, or install ClaroRead SE instead (it has no spellcheck: contact Support to get a copy if you have ClaroRead Standard or Plus). But you might want to disable it and prevent the user from being able to turn it back on.
You have two options: first, you can run a simple program that locks spellcheck off and password-protects it. You don’t need to be an admin, but this only turns it off for the current user. Second, you can set a per-machine registry key that disables spellcheck for any ClaroRead running on that machine. This is suitable for network administrators who want to disable ClaroRead using something like Group Policy.
Summary: tells you where ClaroRead saves files on the network/user profile and warns you not to roam the %localappdata% folder.
December 2015 (Read more…)
December 2016. (Read more…)
September 2015 (Read more…)
January 2018 (Read more…)
We have tested all of our products with Microsoft Office 2016 for Windows, and all of our products work fine. (Read more…)
Version 13 released December 2017.
How to install ClaroRead Chrome on your Chromebooks and Google Domain, for end users and site licences, and how to upgrade to Premium. (Read more…)
Claro Voice Setup is a small Windows program that lets you download and install any of 80 high-quality text-to-speech voices in 30 languages. (Read more…)
In ClaroSpeak V2.5 onwards you can bold, italic, underline and add images to your document. If you decide to save, share or export your document, ClaroSpeak will use an RTF or RTFD file. (Read more…)
ClaroRead 7 and later work great with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Acrobat Reader DC is the new name for Adobe Reader (so the last version of Adobe Reader was Adobe Reader XI or 11).
ClaroRead 6 and earlier do not have speech with highlighting. You can update ClaroRead to version 7 through ClaroRead Cloud or by using this simple patch. Just download, then run it – you will need to be an administrator – and it will simply update ClaroRead for Acrobat Reader DC support.
- AcrobatReaderDCPatch.exe (184KB) Download and run.
This zip file contains lots of useful programs for fixing problems with your Windows machine and customising ClaroRead. (Read more…)
The ClaroSpeak Chrome App lets you read back documents and proof and correct your own work. (Read more…)
First version 7.0.16, with Scan2Text version 5.1.17, shipped 17 August 2015. (Read more…)
We have tested all of our products with Windows 10, and all of our products work fine. This includes:
- ClaroRead (Pro, Plus, Standard, SE)
- Oska WordBanks
If you have an older version of any of these programs and need an update, please contact Support. If you have a product not on the list, please contact us to let us know and confirm support – if your product runs on Windows 8.1 you should expect it to work on Windows 10.
On more recent versions of Mac OS X there is a setting which prevents ScreenRuler from spanning over multiple monitors. To fix this, you will need to switch a setting off in System Preferences: (Read more…)
This guide will show you how to deploy ClaroRead using Windows Server 2012. (Read more…)
Customers owning a site licence or multi-user licence version of a Claro product are able to distribute that product over multiple computers. This could be done by visiting each computer with the installers on a USB pen drive, and manually installing the product, but this would be very time-consuming. If the computers are connected on a network however it is possible to use Microsoft networking tools to distribute the software from a central location.
Our licence key (or license key) versions of ClaroRead require a licence key before they will run. This is time-consuming to install by hand across many machines. (Read more…)
20 Feb 2015
The ClaroRead Chrome Extension sits in your Google Chrome web browser. It lets you speak web pages, PDFs and Google Docs on Windows, Mac, or Chromebook. (Read more…)
How to get ClaroRead Cloud out to your users. (Read more…)
ClaroRead Cloud OCR lets you OCR or scan documents, images and files, and convert them into readable Word documents and PDF files that will work with ClaroRead, ClaroPDF and other applications for reading and editing. (Read more…)
ClaroRead Anywhere lets you read text, use word prediction, and scan PDF and image files (Plus only). (Read more…)
Traditionally you purchased Microsoft Office on DVD for a one-off charge and installed it onto your computer (or it was pre-installed for you). Nowadays you can get Microsoft Office online as a subscription service, and Microsoft has branded this Office 365. You pay per month and can download and install Microsoft Word 2016, Excel 2016, PowerPoint 2016 and so on. When installed, these are just like previous versions of Office: they work offline, and ClaroRead works perfectly with them. You’ve simply obtained them differently.
By default, a lower-quality version of the voice is installed on your device. It is possible to download the enhanced versions of these voices and you can then use them in your Claro app. To do this:
When you try to install ClaroRead for Mac (or any other Claro Mac apps) on your Mac, you may see the error message “ClaroRead for Mac” can’t be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed when you try to run it. (Read more…)
How to get updates for your Claro software (Read more…)
- “I try to start ClaroRead or WordRead but it only gets to about 75% of the progress bar and the form never actually appears.”
- “ClaroRead just won’t start: it flashes then disappears.”
- “Nothing happens when I double-click the ClaroRead icon.”
- “ClaroRead or WordRead crashes with a message about LHCOM02w.dll.”
- “Save to audio crashes.”
- Run ClaroRead, will not start up.
- ClaroRead uses speech: broken speech systems will stop ClaroRead working. Try the tests on Fixing Problems with Speech and fix any problems you find first.
- If you are on Windows Server, and/or receive a Windows error message about an application error (rather than the program hanging), or you receive a Windows error message about “Data Execution Prevention”, or you see the exception code 0xC000041D in Windows Application Event log, see Cure 2
- Download and run SAPI4Test.exe, get error message “Component ‘Xvoice.dll’ or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.” or one or more voices do not work. See Cure 1
- If ClaroRead displays a message “Invalid Hard Disk!” while loading and will not go any further then you may have the Windows Script Host disabled or broken, see Cure 3.
- If ClaroRead gets about one-third of the way loaded and then hangs, and also you cannot play any audio on your computer, then see Cure 4.
- “It’s not reading anything any more!”
- “I press Play and everything flashes really quickly in Word but no speech”
- “I’ve installed a new piece of software and now ClaroRead/WordRead will not work”
- Make sure you can hear non-speech sound – try Windows Media Player, or go to YouTube, and play a CD or any sound. If you can’t, then you have to fix your sound first.
- Download and run SAPI5Test.exe – none of the voices work.
- Open Control Panel > “Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices”> “Speech”. The panel does not appear. Try Cure Number 2 first.
- If it does appear, switch to one of the Microsoft voices (for example, Sam, Anna, or Hazel). Click the Preview button: no sound is produced, or an error message results. Try Cure Number 3 first.
- 32-bit Windows machines only: If a Microsoft voice works, but some or all of the Claro voices (e.g. ScanSoft Daniel_Full_22kHz or Vocalizer Daniel) do not speak, then go to Cure Number 4.
- 64-bit Windows machines: our Claro voices will not show up in the Speech dialog in Control Panel. However you can launch the 32-bit Control Panel window by downloading and running our Speech Control Panel program. Go straight to Cure Number 4.
How to solve problems using ClaroRead and other Claro products with Microsoft Word.
If you have one of our iOS apps which crashes and we cannot replicate it, we will ask you to send us your crash log to see if this provides us with more information. There are a couple of ways of locating a crash log: (Read more…)
When saving a PDF file with Adobe Acrobat it is possible to specify a variety of security settings. These can interfere with the ability of ClaroRead to read from the PDF. It can also prevent ClaroRead (and Scan2Text) from scanning from the PDF. Below are details of how security settings affect ClaroRead and how to save a document in Adobe Acrobat so that it can be read and scanned by ClaroRead.
Scan2Text Version 5.0 for Microsoft Windows, 11 August 2014.
23 July 2014.
If you get the the error message ‘The Wizard cannot find your scanner’ when running the scanner wizard on Windows 8.1, use the following procedure to fix the problem. (Read more…)