ClaroRead on 64-bit Windows
The following will not work on ClaroRead 5.0 – 5.6 on 64-bit Windows machines:
- Speak-with-control-and-hover in 64-bit applications. So if you are running 32-bit Internet Explorer and 32-bit Office then this works just fine. If you are running the 64-bit versions then you will hear nothing. (Fixed in 5.7)
- Speaking calculator. You can start the 32-bit Calculator in C:WindowsSysWOW64calc.exe if you need it. (Fixed in 5.5)
- Click-and-play does not work on 64-bit Internet Explorer. You must select with the mouse instead (Fixed in 5.5)
Update ClaroRead to the latest version 5.7 to fix all 64-bit problems (July 2011)
Voices on 64 bit Windows
All our voices are 32 bit packages and will work with the Claro software with which they are sold on both 32 and 64 bit systems however on a 64 bit system the voice may not work in third party programs and will not be shown in the Windows Speech Control Panel or in the Narrator voice selection panel.
In order to display the 32 bit Windows Speech Control Panel on a 64 bit version of Windows…
Windows Vista & 7
Nuance (previously ScanSoft) SAPI5 RealSpeak Solo voices must all be installed into the same directory on your machine. If this is not followed then the voices will appear in the Speech applet in Control Panel, or in your SAPI5 voice list in your speech-enabled program, but they will not work. This guide tells you how to fix all the RealSpeak voices on your machine.
You will need full admin rights on the local machine and you have to edit the registry.
1 Place all voice files in the same directory
You have to find all the voice files on your machine and move them all to the same directory. You can find them in these ways:
- Do a search on your hard disk(s) for a directory called “speech” which in turn contains the directories “components” and “rssolov4”.
- Perform the registry entry corrections in part 2 and take note of all the paths there.
- Check these locations (“Program Files” may be “Program Files (x86)” on 64-bit machines):
Claro provides many text-to-speech synthesised voices from Acapela, including many Swedish and Scandinavian voices (Matti, Elin, Erik, Ingmar etc.) They should be set up correctly by our latest installers, but if you are experiencing problems then you can try the suggestions below.
Note that the Acapela voices, although SAPI5-compliant, do not show up in the Speech applet in the Windows Control Panel. They only show up in Claro programs.