Formerly ClaroSpeak Web. Version 10 released October 2016.
Version 1, February 2014
- Works in any modern browser (Chrome, Safari, Edge, Firefox, Internet Explorer 10/11) including tablet and ‘phone
- Real-sounding synthesized speech delivered over the Internet from industry-leading Microsoft speech servers.
- Catalan, Traditional Chinese, Reformed Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Swedish
- Highlight while reading.
- Open text and HTML files from Dropbox and save your text files back there.
- English and Swedish word prediction.
- Echo letters and words as you type.
- Echo letters using the letter sound, not the letter name (Swedish only).
- Select the font colour, background colour, typeface and font size that best suits your reading style.
- Powerful browser spellcheck (where available)
Version 2, October 2014
- You can take photographs with your camera and extract text to read it back, or OCR local image and inaccessible PDF files and get the text out of them.
- More online voices from Acapela and Bing.
- Use offline Chrome or Android voices for portability.
- Use installed system voices on desktop.
- Online lookup dictionaries for Swedish and English.
Version 2.2, January 2015
- Select a PDF in Dropbox, it will be passed to the Claro OCR service and the text extracted. (Plus only)
- Imported text is better-aligned – no spaces to left, and a better margin so more touch-friendly.
- Settings now contains a link to the Help and a build number for ease of support.
Version 3.1, April 2015
- Supports rich text. You can copy and paste in text from documents and web pages and pictures and fonts will be preserved.
Version 4.0.1, 30 June 2015
- Speed control for server (Bing) and local/Web Speech/Google voices in browsers that support playbackrate – (not Safari on iOS or OSX, not Chrome for Android, but Chrome and Firefox on Desktop)
Version 5.0.2, 21 July 2015
- New echo sentence feature to help with proofing.
Version 6.0.0, 17 August 2015
- Support for opening Google Docs documents and files from Google Drive for reading and editing.
- Save documents to Google Drive.
- Highlighting uses text colour instead of selection highlight for more pleasant appearance.
Version 7, 19 October 2015
- Single-button simple speech recognition lets you speak directly into the Web App and have your words appear as text. Requires an Internet connection.
- Open PDF files and see them displayed in the Web App with page thumbnails, search and print options.
- Read back PDF files with highlighting.
- Improved reading of sentences.
Version 8, 11 January 2016
- Replaced Microsoft Bing voices with higher-quality Vocalizer voices from Claro speech servers – same voices as on Mac and Windows.
- Can now save PDF files.
Version 9, 14 April 2016
- ClaroRead Anywhere can now open Microsoft Word DOCX and Rich Text RTF files in the browser (so you don’t need to be online).
- OpenOffice/LibreOffice ODT/ODF files, Pages files, and Microsoft Word DOC files can all be opened by our online Claro servers (so you must be online).
- The speaking dictionary now supports French, Spanish and German.
- You can now load and save files from and to your OneDrive account as well as Dropbox and Google Drive.
Version 10, 6 October 2016
- Name change to “ClaroRead Anywhere” from “ClaroSpeak Web”.
- OCR (photo, PDF conversion) now shows you the original image or PDF but makes it speak, rather than just the text from the original image or PDF.
- ClaroRead Anywhere on Firefox (on Windows or Mac) can now use any installed system or SAPI5 (Windows) voice.
- “Getting Started” guide helps new users work out what to do.
- Improvements to RTF and PDF reading.
Version 11, 17 January 2017
- The readability and appearance of documents is improved, especially on tablets and desktops, with a page width related to the font size to optimise words per line.
- You can now open LibreOffice/OpenOffice ODT and ODF files, and ePub ebooks.
- Opening image files from any source now sends them to scanning/OCR to be processed (if available).
- Danish and Norwegian versions.