ClaroRead Edge Release Notes
Version 28.1.15 released 21 September 2022.
- When you have a selection in Google Docs or Word Online and then click Check, ClaroRead will spellcheck the selection from beginning to end (rather than just starting from the end of the selection). This matches ClaroRead Windows and Mac and makes it easy for you to choose which bit of your work you need to spellcheck rather than having to go through the whole document.
- ClaroRead can now switch the voice it is using when the text it is reading switches language. For example, if a document contains English and Swedish, ClaroRead will switch between your chosen English and Swedish voice when it encounters it. You can turn this on or off in Setting, Language.
- In Google Docs your chosen highlight colour is used, rather than always grey.
Version 28.1.15 released 21 September 2022.
- New settings screen – Larger and unified settings screen with an updated user interface. This settings screen can be accessed from the ClaroRead Edge toolbar and the extension options. The new settings will only open one set of settings for multiple tabs so you dont need to keep track of multiple settings windows being opened.
- Extras toolbar button – ClaroRead Edge now contains an extras button on the toolbar which contains a further three buttons for ClaroIdeas web, ePub Reader web and Speaking Calculator web.
- Prediction toolbar button – The toolbar can now contain a prediction toggle button, this is used to toggle prediction on and off straight from the toolbar.
- View tab – Settings now contains a View tab which allows you to control which buttons you can see on the toolbar.
- Google Docs reading now works again.
Version 27.1.8 released 4 July 2022.
- Bug fixes and improvements
Version 27.0.11 released 8 June 2022.
- Compound Words (Swedish). Spelling errors that consist of two words that look correctly-spelled but really should be combined into one, like “straw berry”, are common in Swedish. The new Compound Word feature is available in Swedish only, and will show incorrectly-split words when using the Homophone Check and Spell Check feature in ClaroRead Chrome.
- If you don’t want to see highlighting when reading you can turn this off in Settings.
- The speed slider now has some numbers on it to help you know where to set it and to tell someone else where you have set it.
- You can read ePubs in ClaroRead Chrome by going to Settings, Extras, and clicking the new ePub Reader button to open our ePub Reader App.
- You can now add words to your personal lexicon so if a word is correct but ClaroRead Chrome thinks it is misspelled you can fix it.
Version 26.0.15 released 13 May 2022.
- Adding “spellcheck all” to Microsoft Word Online. Currently you can spell check a whole document in Google Docs, we’re also bringing that functionality to Word Online.
- Word prediction in Swedish now uses our latest updated and powerful prediction technology, built by world-class linguists to help you get the right work at the right time. This is Cloud-provided, so Swedish spellcheck will now need you to be online to work.
- Adding lots more “dyslexic-style” spelling corrections to our Swedish spellcheck service – again, this is online-only.
Version 25.0.1 released 24 April 2022
- Save to audio. Much like in ClaroRead for Windows you can now save your text selection to audio using the nearest appropriate voice. Go to Settings, Extras tab, and check Save To Audio to enable the feature. You will then have a new Save button on the toolbar: just select some text, click it, and you’ll get an MP3 to save and use as you wish.
Version 24 released 6 April 2022
- Currently the extension runs even when the toolbar is closed. Certain settings work such as prediction and the coloured overlay. We’re updating the toolbar so that when you close the toolbar everything is switched off.
- ClaroRead Edge now has a dark mode! Changing your systems preferred theme should automatically switch the way the extension looks
- We’ve improved our spellchecker to provide better results for Swedish: you’ll see the right word suggested more often. Spellcheck is super-important in Sweden, and combined with our word prediction and speech it makes ClaroRead very powerful.
- Google Docs is updating the way they display their documents so we’ve updated ClaroRead Chrome to handle this.
Version 22.3.7 released 11 December 2020
- We’re updating our scan from screen feature to be more accurate.
Version 22.3.8 released May 2021 (in process)
- Fixes for Google Docs reading.
Version 22.2.2 released 6 November 2020
- Contains a bug fix for Google docs that prevented the users from typing correcting if echo sentences/words was enabled.
Version 22.2 released 22 October 2020
- We’re removing font awesome from the Chrome extension and replacing all the icons with images. This will allow for faster load times and a reduction in collisions with host websites.
Version 22.1 released 6 October 2020
- We’ve improved the accessibility for users who rely on other assistive technologies, like screenreaders. Buttons and settings are all now accessible and properly written to comply with WCAG and other standards.
- Performance improvements with how long it takes to extension to load on each page and become ready to go.
Version 22 released 27th of July 2020
- Making and capturing highlights. Highlighting passages in documents and then extracting them is super popular on Windows and iOS (in ClaroPDF) so we’ve brought this to ClaroRead Chrome. You can select and highlight passages in web pages (and only web pages for now), sort them and review them, then send them to a Google Docs document. To activate the Capture buttons turn on Capture on the Extras tab in Settings.
- The Overlay tab is now called Extras. Here you can control the settings for the screen overlay feature, but also the capturing features new in this version. We’re working towards having our ClaroRead Windows and Mac Extras all in ClaroRead Chrome, and this is where they will live!
- Improved next word prediction. Help with your writing by suggesting the next word you want.
- ClaroRead now favours your selected prediction dictionary in its suggestions.
- ClaroRead has improved phonetic prediction so it keeps checking phonetic options as you type more letters – this mean that “kat” suggests “cat”, where before “cat” would disappear when you got to “ka”.
- if a full stop is typed it is automatically moved to the end of the sentence. So “This is a sentence .” becomes “This is a sentence. ” without you having backspace: just keep typing and writing.
- Prediction now works in Word Online: spellcheck and speech recognition do not work here yet, and you have to type a space after each word. Prediction works fully in Google Docs.
- Prediction now shows (1) correctly-typed words, so you can see that you have written a valid and word, AND (2) shows a spelling correction for the word you have typed so far, so you can see the correct spelling for what you meant.
- Prediction can also show homophones, so if you type “their” you’ll see “there” and “they’re” suggested. Lets you know there are confusable words and pick the right one.
- Improvements to ClaroRead Chrome Swedish with a better corpus and three new prediction dictionaries for different school ages, so prediction matches the literacy level.
- We’ve added a quick link to the help page if you right-click on the ClaroRead icon in the toolbar in Chrome so you can get help easily.
Version 21 released 15th of April 2020. Blog Post: ClaroRead Chrome Update – Updated Voice List and Maths Support
- Improved spellcheck for Swedish. More words right more often.
- Improved voice selection. We provide lots of voices in lots of languages with ClaroRead Chrome – we have users all over the world and can provide dozens of languages, even in the free version of ClaroRead. This can make it hard to find the voice you want in the long list. Now voices are grouped by language and dialect, and we’ve added flags to make it easier for people who find reading harder to find the language they want. Finally, we’ve re-ordered the voices so the voices you are likely to want to use are at the top. It’s easier to pick the voice you want and enjoy reading and proofing in ClaroRead Chrome 21.
- Oh, and we’ve added a button to let you test the voice!
- Reading (or math!) Most maths is found in web pages as images, with nothing actually readable: but some websites provide actual maths in the form of MathML or LaTeX, so we can read it out. ClaroRead Chrome 21 reads out maths it finds as you read through a web page, or you can point at or select the maths to hear it read aloud. In ClaroRead Chrome 21 it just reads the whole equation to keep it simple: if we find that people want to have lower-level reading (e.g. each symbol at a time) then we could look at that.
- More accurate scan-from-screen (updated training data in OCR engine).
Version 1 released 1 March 2020. Blog Post: ClaroRead Edge – New Extension for Microsoft Edge Web Browser
This page was last updated on 21st September 2022.