ClaroSpeak Web Release Notes
Current version ClaroSpeak Web 13, released November 2017.
You can now access ClaroSpeak Web for free, with no login required. Without login you will be able to:
- Get Claro’s text-to-speech with the voices available on your browser.
- Speak on select.
- Change font type and font size.
- Open .txt, .rtf, .doc, .docx and .pdf files, and save .txt, .rtf, .docx and .pdf files.
By logging into your Claro account with a valid ClaroRead license (Windows, Mac, or Chrome, not SE), you will have access to these great Premium features:
- Open and save documents through Google Drive, OneDrive and Dropbox.
- Chrome and Android users will now be able to dictate speech.
- Spell-check, dictionary and word prediction.
- Echo sentences, words and characters.
- Extra Acapela and Vocalizer voices.
- Change font and page colours.
Version 13 released 17 November 2017. Blog Post: ClaroSpeak Web 13 Released
- You can now save your documents in rich text format (rtf)
- New intuitive save dialog. Enter in a file name and select whether you want to save as plain text (txt) or rich text (rtf). When saving to cloud services, you will receive a notification whether or not your upload was successful.
- Create a new document, open and save to cloud services or locally, and settings are now all easily accessible from the same place, under the new File menu.
- Files with the same name when saving to cloud services are now distinguishable from each other.
- You can now use the dictate feature on your Android device.
- You will now be prompted to save any unsaved changes when leaving ClaroRead Anywhere.
- Predictions remain visible after three characters and are now spoken immediately when hovering over them.
- Word prediction is now available in Arabic, French, German, Polish and Spanish.
Version 12 released 17 July 2017. Blog Post: ClaroSpeak Web V12 Released
- Speech recognition now adds your text to the document as you go, letting you see how it is working, rather than putting it all in at the end.
- You get more feedback from OCR/scanning and from opening from Google Drive so you can see how it is progressing.
- Better support for lists in Word DOCX and Google Docs documents.
- Word prediction is now available in Dutch.
- You will now be prompted if you try to create or open a new document and you have changed the current document (so you don’t lose any work you have done).
Version 11 released 17 January 2017. Blog Post: ClaroSpeak Web V11 Released
- The readability and appearance of documents is improved, especially on tablets and desktops, with a page width related to the font size to optimise words per line.
- You can now open LibreOffice/OpenOffice ODT and ODF files, and ePub ebooks.
- Opening image files from any source now sends them to scanning/OCR to be processed (if available).
- Danish and Norwegian versions.
Version 10 released 6 October 2016. Blog Post: ClaroSpeak Web V10 Released
- Name change to “ClaroRead Anywhere” from “ClaroSpeak Web”.
- OCR (photo, PDF conversion) now shows you the original image or PDF but makes it speak, rather than just the text from the original image or PDF.
- ClaroRead Anywhere on Firefox (on Windows or Mac) can now use any installed system or SAPI5 (Windows) voice.
- “Getting Started” guide helps new users work out what to do.
- Improvements to RTF and PDF reading.
Version 9 released 14 April 2016. Blog Post: ClaroSpeak Web 9 Released
- ClaroRead Anywhere can now open Microsoft Word DOCX and Rich Text RTF files in the browser (so you don’t need to be online).
- OpenOffice/LibreOffice ODT/ODF files, Pages files, and Microsoft Word DOC files can all be opened by our online Claro servers (so you must be online).
- The speaking dictionary now supports French, Spanish and German.
- You can now load and save files from and to your OneDrive account as well as Dropbox and Google Drive.
Version 8 released 11 January 2016
- Replaced Microsoft Bing voices with higher-quality Vocalizer voices from Claro speech servers – same voices as on Mac and Windows.
- Can now save PDF files.
Version 7 released 19 October 2015
- Single-button simple speech recognition lets you speak directly into the Web App and have your words appear as text. Requires an Internet connection.
- Open PDF files and see them displayed in the Web App with page thumbnails, search and print options.
- Read back PDF files with highlighting.
- Improved reading of sentences.
Version 6 released 17 August 2015
- Support for opening Google Docs documents and files from Google Drive for reading and editing.
- Save documents to Google Drive.
- Highlighting uses text colour instead of selection highlight for more pleasant appearance.
Version 5.0.2 released 21 July 2015
- New echo sentence feature to help with proofing.
Version 4.0.1 released 30 June 2015
- Speed control for server (Bing) and local/Web Speech/Google voices in browsers that support playbackrate – (not Safari on iOS or OSX, not Chrome for Android, but Chrome and Firefox on Desktop)
Version 3.1 released April 2015
- Supports rich text. You can copy and paste in text from documents and web pages and pictures and fonts will be preserved.
Version 2.2 released 12 January 2015
- Select a PDF in Dropbox, it will be passed to the Claro OCR service and the text extracted. (Plus only)
- Imported text is better-aligned – no spaces to left, and a better margin so more touch-friendly.
- Settings now contains a link to the Help and a build number for ease of support.
Version 2 released 11 October 2014
- You can take photographs with your camera and extract text to read it back, or OCR local image and inaccessible PDF files and get the text out of them.
- More online voices from Acapela and Bing.
- Use offline Chrome or Android voices for portability.
- Use installed system voices on desktop.
- Online lookup dictionaries for Swedish and English.
Version 1 released 5 February 2014
- Works in any modern browser (Chrome, Safari, Edge, Firefox, Internet Explorer 10/11) including tablet and ‘phone
- Real-sounding synthesised speech delivered over the Internet from industry-leading Microsoft speech servers.
- Catalan, Traditional Chinese, Reformed Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Swedish
- Highlight while reading.
- Open text and HTML files from Dropbox and save your text files back there.
- English and Swedish word prediction.
- Echo letters and words as you type.
- Echo letters using the letter sound, not the letter name (Swedish only).
- Select the font colour, background colour, typeface and font size that best suits your reading style.
- Powerful browser spellcheck (where available)