Setting up a scanner in ClaroRead or Scan2Text
You need to set up your scanner for use using the Scanner Setup Wizard.
Setting up your scanner
All files needed for scanner setup and support are copied automatically during the program’s installation, but there is no scanner setup at installation time.
Before using your application for scanning, it is strongly recommended that your scanner is correctly installed with its own scanner driver software and tested for correct functionality.
To set up your scanner, start the Scanner Setup Wizard.
- The first panel invites you to update the scanner database containing optimum scanner settings for all tested scanners. Choose Yes or No and click on Next. If you choose Yes, and you have a web connection, the Internet Connection dialog box will appear during the download from the Nuance web site.
- The next panel displays the currently selected scanner (if there is none, “No scanner” is displayed). If there is one, you may choose to either test it, or to use it with current settings.
- In case there is no currently selected scanner, choose ‘Select and test scanner or digital camera’ then click Next.
- In the next panel, you can see the scanner type you installed, or you may see a list of all previously selected scanner drivers, with the default scanner selected. You can also filter your scanning devices by their driver types.
- Select one, click OK then Next. 2
- Another panel displays. Choose Yes to test your scanner configuration only if it is recommended, then click Next. The wizard will now test the connection from the computer to your scanner. Warning: Unless it is absolutely necessary, do not choose to test your scanner configuration if No is recommended, because this may overwrite pre-set hints causing your device not to function properly.
Note: In case you have already modified your hints, you will find an extra button here: Restore original Settings. Use this to set your hints to their original values.
- Select the steps for testing and click Next again.
- Below the testing steps is a section dedicated to advanced users with two buttons: Advanced settings and Modify hints. Please use these buttons only if you are confident you can successfully specify advanced settings and edit hints.
- Under Advanced Settings you find Native User Interface and Transfer mechanism settings.
Native User Interface: you can choose to show (with or without ADF support) or hide it. Note that if you choose to show native scanner UI here (and not programmatically) you will not be able to query its capabilities.
Transfer Mechanism: use this if you are experiencing problems in transferring images from your device (for instance, the image is upside down, colors are mixed up, or a color image displays gray, etc.), and mark Transfer images via native mode. Note that although this is more reliable than memory mode, it is a bit slower.
- Modify hints lets you edit the hint entries of your device. It is strongly recommended not to use this, unless you are instructed so by Technical Support.
- When the required tests are done, click Finish to complete the wizard.
- If you selected the Show native user-interface, then you have to set all the scanning parameters like Image Type, Width and Height – in the TWAIN UI of your device.