ClaroRead Chrome supports reading, writing and study on Chromebooks. It helps you write with Google Docs, read and research PDF files and web pages, and organise your thoughts with mind mapping. ClaroRead is used world-wide in schools by hundreds of thousands of users with and without dyslexia and print impairments.
ClaroRead Chrome comes in a super-useful free option, or you can get a site licence to unlock its powerful premium features.
Announcement: We are excited to announce that we have now released ClaroRead Chrome version 19. This combines all of its great features with speech recognition when you get the premium version. Use this new tool to effortlessly convert your speech into text through dictation, making it easier and faster for you to create your documents.
“Amazing and its free and the overlay helps a lot so glad I searched for it”Chrome App Store User Review
Trials and Demos
ClaroRead Chrome Features
ClaroRead Chrome adds speech to any web page you visit and PDF files. You can also read aloud Google Docs with highlighting to let you see where you are up to, spellcheck your work, use word prediction to help you write, and tint the screen to make it more comfortable to read.
- Click Play to read any web page out loud, with highlighting to let you track where you are.
- Click Play to read your own work or any document you have opened in Google Docs and Google Slides, again with highlighting.
- Scan from screen: draw a rectangle round any text in a page to hear it read aloud – even Google Books, inaccessible PDFs and images of text. (Premium only)
- Click Play to read back accessible PDF files opened in Chrome, whether found on the web or opened from your local machine.
- Hover over links or images to read them out or just select text you want to hear and it speaks.
- Choose from dozens of languages and voices to read different web pages in the voice you prefer. (You get more voices in Premium with Voices.)
- Spellcheck and homophone check your work – fix spelling errors and grammar errors like “their” and “there”.
- Echo back letters, words and sentences as you type them to help with proofing and accessibility.
- Turn on a coloured overlay for tinting web pages to help with reading and comfort.
- Choose the text highlight colour that helps you follow along best.
- Use word prediction to help you with getting the right correctly-spelled word when writing. Supports English, Dutch, French, German, Spanish, Swedish, Polish, Norwegian and Arabic. Swedish word prediction supports phonetics, so “sj” suggests “just”.
- Read other Google Docs extensions to maximise effectiveness of all your tools.
- Deploy and administer across your company or school with powerful admin tools.
- Read Office 365 (Word Online) documents with highlighting (Premium only).
- Convert inaccessible PDF files or images into fully-accessible PDF or Word documents for reading and working with later using ClaroRead Cloud OCR (Premium only).
Included with ClaroRead Chrome
All our Extras are also free in the Chrome Web Store, but come with Premium features included with ClaroRead Chrome.
- ClaroSpeak Chrome
- Chromebook App for reading and proofing text, including speech recognition and speaking dictionary to help you write.
- ClaroIdeas Chrome
- An easy-to-use mind-mapping tool to support the creation and editing of concept or idea maps using visual components.
- ClaroRead Word
- ClaroRead for Word uses the latest Office 365 technologies to bring our world-class text-to-speech, spellchecking, prediction and usability tools.
- Claro ScanPen
- Claro ScanPen lets you quickly read back text from any paper document.
Help and Documentation
- User Guide
- Complete user guide.
- Release Notes
- Change log of each version – what’s new and different.
- Installing Claro Chromebook Apps and Extensions Online
- How to get Chromebook Apps on your network.
- ClaroRead Chrome Site Policies
- Administering ClaroRead Chrome settings for all your users across you domain.
- ClaroRead Chrome Specification
- A complete listing of all the features of ClaroRead for Chromebook.
- Handout with the main features of ClaroRead Chrome.
You can also use the ClaroRead Chrome in the latest Google Chrome browser on Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac, or Linux, but not the Apps (ClaroSpeak and ClaroIdeas). Chrome on iPad, iPhone and Android are not supported because Chrome has neither extensions nor Apps on these platforms: see Claro Apps for our great Apps on Android and Apple phones and tablets.
More Software for Chromebook
- ClaroSpeak Chrome
- Chromebook and Chrome browser app for reading and proofing text.
- ClaroIdeas Chrome
- Chromebook and Chrome browser app for mind mapping.