ClaroRead Chrome supports reading, writing and study on Chromebooks. It helps you write with Google Docs, read and research PDF files and web pages, and organise your thoughts with mind mapping. ClaroRead is used world-wide in schools by hundreds of thousands of users with and without dyslexia and print impairments.
“Amazing and its free and the overlay helps a lot so glad I searched for it”Chrome App Store User Review
ClaroRead Chrome Features
ClaroRead Chrome adds speech to any web page you visit and PDF files. You can also read aloud Google Docs with highlighting to let you see where you are up to, spellcheck your work, use word prediction to help you write, and tint the screen to make it more comfortable to read.
- Click Play to read any web page out loud, with highlighting to let you track where you are.
- Click Play to read your own work or any document you have opened in Google Docs and Google Slides, again with highlighting.
- Scan from screen: draw a rectangle round any text in a page to hear it read aloud – even Google Books, inaccessible PDFs and images of text. (Premium only)
- Click Play to read back accessible PDF files opened in Chrome, whether found on the web or opened from your local machine.
- Click Dictate to speak into documents and see your words appear, correctly spelled, with no typing.
- Hover over links or images to read them out or just select text you want to hear and it speaks.
- Choose from dozens of languages and voices to read different web pages in the voice you prefer. (You get more voices in Premium with Voices.)
- Spellcheck and homophone check your work – fix spelling errors and grammar errors like “their” and “there”.
- Echo back letters, words and sentences as you type them to help with proofing and accessibility.
- Turn on a coloured overlay for tinting web pages to help with reading and comfort.
- Choose the text highlight colour that helps you follow along best.
- Use word prediction to help you with getting the right correctly-spelled word when writing. Supports English, Dutch, French, German, Spanish, Swedish, Polish, Norwegian and Arabic. Swedish word prediction supports phonetics, so “sj” suggests “just”.
- Read other Google Docs extensions to maximise effectiveness of all your tools.
- Deploy and administer across your company or school with powerful admin tools.
- Read Office 365 (Word Online) documents with highlighting (Premium only).
- Convert inaccessible PDF files or images into fully-accessible PDF or Word documents for reading and working with later using Claro Cloud OCR (Premium only).
- Reads math or maths found in web pages.
ClaroRead Chrome is available in the Chrome Web Store: it will provide some useful features for free, but you have to purchase a licence for you or your school to unlock all the features.
- Buy ClaroRead Chrome online. Single user licence.
- You can also use a ClaroRead Pro or Plus Windows or ClaroRead Plus Mac licence key to unlock ClaroRead Chrome, or purchase a Claro Annual site licence.
To get more information visit our pricing page.
Help and Documentation
- User Guide.
- Complete user manual.
- Release Notes.
- Latest updates in ClaroRead Chrome.
- Installing ClaroRead Chrome and Apps for DSA.
- Installing and setting up a student’s Chromebook.
- Installing Claro Chromebook Apps and Extensions Online.
- How to get Chromebook Apps on your network.
- ClaroRead Chrome Site Policies.
- Administering ClaroRead Chrome settings for all your users across you domain.
- ClaroRead Chrome Specification.
- A complete listing of all the features of ClaroRead for Chromebook.
- Handout with the main features of ClaroRead Chrome.
You can also use the ClaroRead Chrome in the latest Google Chrome browser on Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac, or Linux, but not the Apps (ClaroSpeak and ClaroIdeas). Chrome on iPad, iPhone and Android are not supported because Chrome has neither extensions nor Apps on these platforms: see Claro Apps for our great Apps on Android and Apple phones and tablets.
You need an Internet connection for some features, notably speech recognition and some of the voices.
More Software for Chromebook
- Write and proof your work.
- Mind mapping and idea capture.
- Claro ScanPen
- Take photos and read back any text in them – access to print!
Choose from dozens of standard voices in many languages
Additional premium voices alongside standard voice choice