Information for Assistive Technology professionals, teachers, and end users.
Our software helps people to achieve more. Here are some of their stories.
- ClaroRead Case Studies.
- ClaroRead Case Study (Wigan and Leigh College)
- ClaroRead in the workplace – supporting firefighters and saving money
Supportive Writing Technology
Describes the common software tools and programs used to support writing. Useful for understanding the standard assistive technology available to people with reading and writing problems.
Illustrated with screenshots of Claro products but generic and non-branded. Based on an excerpt from “Supportive Writing Technology”, CALL Scotland, (ISBN 1898042136). Edited by Claro Software and published with permission of Paul Nisbet, CALL Scotland and the Scottish Government Learning Directorate.
Briefing: Using Computer Readers in Exams
A guide to using computer software like ClaroRead in examinations in schools in the UK.
- Using Computer Readers in Exams (Summary version) (PDF)
PDF and Accessibility
PDF is the second-biggest document format after HTML web pages, but it poses particular challenges for accessibility. This guide goes into detail on PDF accessibility features and how to use them.
Accessible Resources Pilot Project
A report on a Government-funded research project in UK schools that used Claro and other software to improve learning. Written by mytextbook.org.
Dyslexic pupils benefited most from using text-to-speech software, both for reading and writing. The software was able to read MS Word documents and accessible web pages directly. 74% changed the settings on their computers, most changing the font size, the colour background or using highlighting of text as it is read out loud.
Use of Assistive Technology by Students with Dyslexia in Post-Secondary Education
A research paper from the University of Manchester identifying the types and mix of technology (hardware and software) provided to post-secondary students with dyslexia in the UK. By Dr. EA Draffan, Dr. DG Evans and P Blenkhorn.
Multimodal Campus Project
A paper describing the deployment of ClaroRead for 1200 students at Barcelona University and its benefits.
- Multimodal Campus Project: Pilot Test of Voice Supported Learning. Rovira et al, 2015, in Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, Volume 196, 8 July 2015, Pages 190–197.
ClaroRead and Dyslexia
A straightforward explanation of the way ClaroRead can help dyslexic learners.
Dyslexia: Testing and Expert Advice for Schools and Parents
Comprehensive information including helpful strategies, Tests, Apps, and the latest technology to help Dyslexia sufferers better manage reading and writing.
A personal story about finding and using ClaroRead to meet personal goals and read, write and type faster.
A list of research references (journal articles, conference papers, reports and book chapters) on assistive technology and disability produced over the years by members of the Claro Software team.
- Claro References (PDF)
A list of articles related to Claro Software products.
UK Disabled Students’ Allowance
- “Educational Cost of Dyslexia“. A review of state provision for people with dyslexia. British Dyslexia Association, 2019.
- “Evaluation of disabled students’ allowances“. A review of the effectiveness of the DSA. Department for Education, 2019.
- “A Review of the Disabled Student’s Allowances“. A review of the effectiveness of the DSA. Welsh Government, 2017.
- “Disabled Students’ Allowances Equality Analysis”. How the DSA fulfils the requirements of the Equality Act 2010. Department for Business, Innovation & Skills, 2014.
- “Technical Guidance on Further and Higher Education“. Guidance on the responsibilities of further and higher education providers (colleges and universities) to disabled students under the the Equality Act 2010. Equality and Human Rights Commission, 2010.